Monday, March 2, 2015

5 things I've learned from my long-distance friendlationship

Over the past couple of years I have moved around a bit, leaving behind all that is good and righteous in the great state of Texas. It's difficult to pack up and depart with everything you've known and loved for so long, and it's even more difficult when you realize that it probably won't be the first or the last time you'll be doing it. I remember the first time I moved, it was to the Big Apple--concrete jungle where dreams are made of, like Alicia Keys would say. We had to take two cars to the airport because my luggage and the people living in my house would not all fit in one. I knew it wouldn't be forever, but it seemed like it would be an eternity. I love my family, but it was hardest saying good-bye to my best friend and her daughter, both who have become closer than family. Almost three years later and we're now an ocean apart.

Today, I received a wonderful package from her filled with chocolate, girly things and a $20 dollar bill that said "buy yourself something pretty." It's been an extremely difficult adjustment living in Hawaii with few friends and no one to run to (that's in a decent proximity) when I just need a gal-pal, but I'm dealing. Reading the note she left me in my new journal (because lord knows I love journals) made me reflect on the importance of our friendship and the things I've learned from this experience.

Saying "good-bye" never gets any easier.
And neither does: "I'll see you soon" or "I won't be gone for long" or any other phrase that you say each time you have to part ways again. My heart breaks every time I have to kiss that little girl good-bye and leave my best friend to live a life apart from them. She has played the role of my significant other for quite some time and there have not been many times that we have been apart. It may not get easier, but it does make you stronger.

Writing letters is waaayyyyyyy better than email.
Like, way way.Yes, email is faster. And yes, you have to pay for postage. BUT nothing says "I love you and miss you" like a nice hand-written letter expressing how much you love/hate your new city and all the cool/lame things you're doing and all the new (but not even as close to cool as her) friends you're making. Plus, it's always nice to read some hand-written words of inspiration from your bestie to give you that little kick in the butt you may need.

Jealousy will happen.
Every time I see her post a picture on Instagram with someone else or doing something cool, there's this feeling inside of me hoping she'll have the worst time ever because I'm not there. Oh, and that picture with that other chick, she's going down as soon as I get back! Or wait, is that only me?? I'm sure it's not, but I think my jealousy is both amusing and refreshing to her. I may be ridiculous, but at least she knows that she's my BFF and there's no way in hell I'm sharing her with anyone else.

Distance ain't nothing but a number.
They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder and I find it true to some extent. I don't think I've grown fonder of my bestie boo, but her absence and the friendship we have has made me realize how special what we have is. We may be an ocean apart, but that means nothing when I know that nothing could keep her safe from my excessive text messages, ridiculous faces made while on FaceTime and pro lurking status (I see all).

She's your best babe forever and nothing will change that.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that this girl isn't going anywhere. She's the chips to my queso, the malita to my animalita and my homegirl for life. I left her once to go to New York and I left her again to come to Hawaii, and she still hasn't left. No matter the distance, the big life changes, the ups or the downs she will forever be my soul mate and my other half, forever and ever. She'll always be my BFFLmnop!

No comments:

Post a Comment